Countries around the world have been ravaged by the COVID-19 pandemic and the resulting lockdowns. In June 2020, as the threat begins to subside in some countries, people can start to take stock of their country’s handling of the deadly virus. In many countries—especially developing countries—the virus has revealed insufficiencies in the health care system and other infrastructure and has left foreign investors considering a brighter future in a better country.
Many of the foreign nationals disillusioned with their home country set their sights on the United States because of its highly advanced health care facilities, lucrative business opportunities, and unwavering freedoms. One of the quickest and easiest ways to secure a new life in the Land of the Free is through the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program, which allows foreign investors and their immediate family members to obtain U.S. green cards.
The process is fairly straightforward, primarily consisting of investing the required investment amount in a qualifying EB-5 project. The minimum required investment amount is $1.8 million, or $900,000 if the EB-5 project is located in a targeted employment area (TEA). If a $1.8 million investment is too much for you, don’t fret—it’s easy to find EB-5 projects that qualify for the lower $900,000 amount because regional centers tend to work with projects in TEAs.
Why You Should Obtain a U.S. Green Card
Living in the United States with permanent resident status offers an immigrant far more advantages than with a temporary visa. The following are some of the benefits U.S. permanent residents can enjoy:
- Easier admission to U.S. colleges
- Potential savings in in-state tuition fees at U.S. universities
- The ability to live in any U.S. state
- The ability to work freely in the United States, whether at a company, as a freelancer, or as a business owner
- An easy re-entry process into the United States after travel abroad
- The right to live in the United States permanently without worrying about visa status
- No need to demonstrate English language skills
- The option to become a naturalized U.S. citizen after five years of permanent residency
The benefits of permanent residency do not only go to the EB-5 investor—the investor’s spouse and unmarried children younger than 21 enjoy all the same rights and privileges. Following a successful EB-5 investment, the entire family is issued U.S. green cards and may begin a better life in the United States. This makes the EB-5 program ideal for any foreign nationals looking to emigrate from their home country following the COVID-19 pandemic.