Explore the benefits participants in EB-5 investments from Maryland can access when they invest in an EB5AN State of Maryland Regional Center-sponsored EB-5 project.
Why Most EB-5 Investors Use Regional Centers
Qualified investors can participate in an EB-5 investment in one of two ways: Either by direct investment in a program-approved project or through a partnership with any of the numerous EB-5 Regional Centers across the country on a qualified investment project. Although direct investment offers its own set of advantages, statistics show that most EB-5 investors still choose to partner with a regional center, and this is due to two main reasons:
- EB-5 regional centers can help EB-5 applicants streamline the EB-5 investment process. The right regional center can offer a wealth of experience and a proven track record to the investment table.
- Regional centers make meeting the job creation requirement easier because they can employ an indirect method of calculating jobs. Instead of having to prove that full-time W-2 U.S. workers were employed for a minimum of two years, they only need to show their capital was invested according to established business plans.
So, where can EB-5 investors turn for regional center partnership? EB5AN should certainly be considered. This broad network of EB-5 investment professionals maintains multiple regional centers already approved by USCIS within a broad geographic area, including the entire state of Maryland. Any one of them has the capability of sponsoring strong EB-5 projects immediately.
The EB5AN State of Maryland Regional Center
Although every qualified investment participant is able to invest in program-approved projects across the U.S., prospective EB-5 investors already living in Maryland may prefer to invest closer to home. They have that option with USCIS-approved EB5AN State of Maryland Regional Center.
With coverage in all 23 counties across the state of Maryland, the EB5AN State of Maryland Regional Center is sure to have a project of interest, including in three of the largest cities in the state. Learn more about each of these cities below:
- Baltimore, a hub for travel and tourism, is the largest city in the state.
- Gaithersburg is nationally known for its rich ethnic and economic diversity and is the state’s fourth-largest city.
- Frederick, the sixth-largest city in MD, is home to the National Museum of Civil War Medicine and offers engaging medical care exhibits.
Green Card Benefits for Maryland EB-5 Investors
EB-5 investors in Maryland can enjoy direct green card benefits in four general categories: residency and citizenship, employment, education, and travel in the U.S. Find out specifics under each of the following subheadings.
United States Residency and Citizenship Benefits
- Qualified EB-5 investors and their eligible family members are afforded one of the most direct U.S. permanent residency routes.
- Once green card holders have established a five-year history of U.S. permanent residency, they become eligible to apply for U.S. citizenship if they wish.
- U.S. green card holders who are retired can access both U.S. and overseas pensions and may even qualify for social welfare programs like Medicare.
Benefits of Employment in the U.S.
- Green card holders are free to work and live anywhere around the country they choose where they can enjoy whatever environmental, cultural, and financial benefits the locale has to offer its residents.
- EB-5 investment participants do not need to maintain employer or visa sponsorship.
- An H-1B work visa is not required of green card holders to work.
U.S. Education-Related Benefits
- All U.S. green card holders have free access to public schools from elementary to high school levels.
- Those holding a green card also qualify for in-state tuition, various scholarships, and other financial aid available through public colleges and universities.
- Education-related benefits are known to improve the chances of U.S. university admission by up to 350%.
- Permanent residents in the U.S. may work concurrently with studies, internships, and apply for post-graduate employment.
Travel Benefits of Green Card Holders in the United States
- U.S. green card holders are eligible to travel freely anywhere in the U.S.
- There are some foreign travel restrictions, but green card holders are allowed to come and go from the U.S. without reentry denial.
- EB-5 investors and qualified family members facing political strife or other significant events in their home country are eligible for immediate entry into the U.S.
Five Requirements of Every Successful EB-5 Investment
The five basic requirements that every EB-5 investment must adhere to in order to be considered successful, no matter where the project originates, are:
- The Minimum Capital Requirement. Program-approved projects located beyond targeted employment area (TEA) borders require a $1.8 million-dollar minimum capital investment. EB5AN projects, which are all located within TEAs, qualify for a reduced minimum investment of $900,000.
- The Source-of-Funds Requirement. Every EB-5 investment must be accompanied by official documentation that proves the lawful sources of all capital funds.
- The NCE (or Troubled Business) Investment Requirement. Each EB-5 investor must select either a new commercial enterprise or a troubled business to invest in.
- The Job Creation Requirement. In order for an EB-5 investment to be considered successful, investors must demonstrate that their capital created (or preserved) at least 10 full-time employment positions for qualifying U.S. employees that last for 2 years.
- The At-Risk Requirement. All EB-5 capital is required to remain “at-risk” for the duration of the investment period.
EB-5 Project Assessment Prior to Investing
Evaluating both financial and immigration risks associated with each Maryland EB-5 investment project prior to investing is key to a smoother EB-5 journey. EB-5 investment participants are encouraged to perform due diligence for every project that has made it onto their project consideration list. In a collaborative effort with Klasko Immigration Law Partners, EB5AN has made it a whole lot easier by developing an EB-5 Project Risk Assessment Tool, and it is now available to EB-5 investors.
EB-5 investors can utilize this digital tool as a guide through the initial stages of conducting thorough due diligence. Vetting EB-5 investment projects is imperative in minimizing exposure to both financial and immigration risk. Look at the primary EB-5 visa requirement, for instance, that all investment capital must remain at-risk throughout the investment period. Selecting the right EB-5 project can mean the difference between sprinting through the investment period and jumping through hoops to maintain an investment’s at-risk status.
Please keep in mind that the term “at-risk” does not encourage investing in “risky” projects. Rather, EB-5 investment capital must remain subject to loss or gain the entire time it is invested. This requirement was actually implemented to maintain the EB-5 program’s integrity. Maintaining an at-risk status ensures foreign nationals invest in the U.S. economy, and so not simply “buy” a U.S. green card for themselves and their family members.
That said, utilizing this robust digital tool is the first step in conducting thorough due diligence before selecting an EB-5 investment project. This will minimize the risks normally associated with U.S. investments through this program. Click the link below to download the questionnaire.
Deciding If Maryland Is the Right Location for Your EB-5 Investment
According to the U.S. Census, Maryland’s population aged 16+ is approximately 4.6 million people. Approximately 3.2 million of them participate in the state’s labor force. 2.9 million are employed and 261,000 of them are unemployed.
Maryland is approximately 101 miles wide and 249 miles long. Based on these figures, its population density sits at 610.8 people per square mile, making it one of the more densely populated states in the U.S.
Find out more about Maryland’s population make-up and income breakdown, as well as the state’s general economic outlook below.
Maryland’s General Economic Outlook
Reviewing Maryland’s GDP information, unemployment statistics, and consumption data provides a bird’s eye view on the state’s general economic outlook.
- Annapolis is the state capital and Baltimore is its largest city. The Baltimore-Washington metro area makes up Maryland’s largest metropolitan area.
- Maryland boasts the U.S.’s 15th-largest economy based on GDP information.
- In 2010, Maryland’s gross domestic product (GDP) reached $295 billion, meaning between 2000 and 2010 its compound annual growth rate was 4.9%. Its GDP per capita was $45,878.
Medical research and numerous education institutions are situated in Maryland as well. Johns Hopkins University and its medical research facilities, in fact, are now responsible for the largest single employment source in the Baltimore area. Maryland is also close to the epicenter of U.S. government, Washington, D.C. Administrative and technical jobs in defense and aerospace as well as bio-research laboratories are a primary focus. Satellite government office staffing in suburban and exurban areas of Baltimore-Washington are also important contributors to the state’s economy.
As a result of these advantages, today, a quarter of Maryland’s labor force is made up of administrative and white-collar tech jobs.
How EB-5 Investors Can Tap Into EB-5 Projects in Maryland
EB5AN oversees many program-approved projects available to Maryland residents seeking EB-5 investment. Program participants simply need to inquire through the EB5AN State of Maryland Regional Center to find out more about what EB5AN-sponsored projects are currently open for investment.
EB-5 investment participants from Maryland are encouraged to reach out and learn how to begin the EB-5 investment process in the following cities and others:
Regardless of an investor’s location in the state, all foreign nationals seeking to invest through the EB-5 program should consider working with the EB5AN team. Learning more about EB-5 investment opportunities in Maryland is as easy as clicking here to schedule a call.