EB-5 investors from Surrey, British Columbia who plan to make EB-5 investments should continue reading to learn about investments in EB-5 projects and find out how EB5 Affiliate Network (EB5AN) can assist them with the EB5 process from start to finish.
To Get Started, Connect with EB5 Affiliate Network (EB5AN) Professionals
Green Cards and Their Benefits for Investors from Surrey
EB5 investors from Surrey stand to gain many benefits from getting Green Cards. Some of the main perks are listed below.
Gain Resident Status and Apply for Citizenship
- Becoming a participant in the EB-5 visa program is one of the quickest, simplest ways to become a U.S. resident. Through the program, EB-5 investors can obtain Green Cards for themselves as well as their spouses and children under 21 who are not married.
- Once an EB5 investor with a Green Card has lived in the United States for at least five years as a permanent resident, they become eligible to apply for U.S. citizenship.
- Green Card perks continue into retirement. Retired EB5 investors with Green Cards can access their pensions that they earned both in the United States and in their home countries. Retired Green Card holders may also find themselves eligible for Medicare and other similar programs.
Find Employment Opportunities in the United States
- Green Cards allow EB5 investors and their families to work and reside anywhere within the bounds of the United States.
- The fifty U.S. states offer a variety of geographies, from mountains in the Northwest to deserts in the Southwest, to beaches on both coasts. Investors who prefer living in a small town will find a place in the United States just as easily as investors who prefer the big city.
- Certain U.S. states, such as Florida and Wyoming, do not collect state income taxes.
- EB-5 investors do not need visa sponsors or employment sponsors to reside in the United States.
- No H-1B work visa is needed for EB5 investors with Green Cards to be permitted to work in the United States.
Travel Freely within the United States and Abroad
- EB-5 investors should note that some travel restrictions apply when it comes to traveling abroad. However, Green Cards allow residents to move freely throughout the United States, as well as enter and exit the country as they wish without facing denial of reentry.
- EB5 investors with Green Cards are permitted to visit and live anywhere in the United States.
- Green Cards can provide investors and their family members an extra sense of security, as they allow for immediate entry into the United States in case an unexpected situation, such as a political change, took place in their home country.
Take Advantage of the U.S. Education System
- EB5 investors with Green Cards will be able to access the public school system in the United States. Their children will be able to enroll in free public schools from elementary through high school.
- College applicants who have U.S. resident status have up to a 350% higher chance of admission to U.S. colleges and universities.
- Resident status makes EB-5 investors and their family members eligible to pay reduced tuition at higher education institutions in the form of in-state tuition at public colleges and universities. U.S. residents are also eligible for a wider pool of scholarships and financial aid options.
- Students with permanent resident status can hold jobs on and off campus, have internships, and easily apply for employment or continuing education after graduation.
Rules that Apply to EB5 Investments
The following is a list of requirements that must be met by all EB5 investments.
- The minimum amount required for an EB5 investment depends on where the EB-5 investment project is located. Investors who put capital toward projects in targeted employment areas (TEAs) must invest at least $800,000. Investors who put funds toward EB5 investment projects not in TEAs must invest at least $1,050,000. Investors who choose to work with EB5AN qualify for the lower minimum investment amount, as all of EB5AN’s investment projects are located in TEAs.
- An EB-5 investment must be made in a new commercial enterprise or an eligible troubled business.
- Each EB5 investment must create 10 jobs for U.S. workers that have full-time hours (35/week) and last for two years.
- EB5 investment capital must be at risk while invested. Capital put toward an EB5 investment must be obtained legally.
Choosing Projects for EB-5 Investments: Important Considerations for Investors from Surrey
Even though their investment capital is required to stay at risk through the investment’s duration, EB-5 investors should not interpret this to mean that they need to invest in projects that could be considered “risky” investments. This requirement exists to prevent the simple exchange of funds for U.S. Green Cards.
However, it is best practice for EB5 investors to always carefully assess all potential projects for EB5 investments. Two of the most important factors to consider in these assessments are financial risk and immigration risk.
To provide guidance for EB-5 investors who are in the process of selecting projects for EB5 investments, EB5AN and Klasko Immigration Law Partners worked together to form the EB-5 Project Risk Assessment Tool. This tool brings EB-5 investors through a series of questions that ultimately help them determine which projects should most successfully minimize their exposure to financial and immigration risk.
What Makes Regional Center Project Investments Different from Direct Investments?
EB-5 investors who make investments in projects through EB-5 regional centers will experience a simplified application process as the result of a rule that applies only to projects managed by regional centers. This rule states that regional center projects are permitted to use an indirect method to calculate jobs created by EB-5 investments. Up to 90% of jobs created by an EB-5 investment project can be indirect jobs. The effect of this rule is that investors will have an easier time proving that their EB-5 investments have met the job creation requirement. While those who make direct investments are responsible for proving the creation of 10 direct jobs, investors who put capital toward regional center projects must prove only that their funds were used according to the regional center’s plan.
EB-5 Affiliate Network is currently prepared to work with EB5 investors from Surrey, British Columbia to quickly sponsor EB-5 investments in any of their several regional center projects, which are located in a variety of U.S. states across the country.
How EB-5 Investors from Surrey Can Get in Touch with EB5AN
Using the contact information below, EB5 investors from Surrey can reach out to EB5AN to learn which of their regional center projects are currently open to receive EB-5 investments.
What to Know about Surrey, British Columbia
What are the Demographics of Surrey?
The population of Surrey, British Columbia in 2021 was 568,322. In 2016, Surrey was classified as the twelfth-largest city in Canada. Since the 1980s, Surrey has seen a large increase in its immigrant population. Nearly a third of residents in Surrey have South Asian heritage. More than half of Surrey residents do not speak English as a first language. Languages commonly spoken in Surrey include English, Punjabi, Mandarin, Hindi, Tagalog, Korean, and Cantonese.
What is Surrey’s Economy Like?
Agriculture and farming are very important in Surrey. About a third of the land in Surrey is reserved to be used to produce food. Other important industries include manufacturing, green energy, health, education, and technology.
What is Surrey’s Geography?
Surrey’s climate is oceanic, meaning the city has rainy, cold winters and mild, sunny summers. Surrey’s geography is made up of hills and flatlands. Even with so much of its land reserved for farming, Surrey’s population density remains low.