Resources for EB-5 Investors from Kolkata, India
EB-5 investors from Kolkata, India who will soon be making an EB-5 investment should continue reading to find out how they stand to benefit from investing in an EB-5 project with the EB5 Affiliate Network (EB5AN).
EB5 Affiliate Network can assist investors from Kolkata, India who want to participate in the EB-5 visa program with every step of the application process.
How to Connect with EB5 Affiliate Network (EB5AN) Professionals in India
EB5AN has multiple India office locations that are open to visits from potential EB5 investors from Kolkata. EB-5 investors from Kolkata may also want to meet with an EB5AN consultant. EB-5 investors from Kolkata also have the option to attend an event hosted by EB5 Affiliate Network in India.
What Do EB-5 Investors from Kolkata Gain by Getting Green Cards?
EB-5 investors from Kolkata, India who obtain Green Cards stand to gain several privileges, such as the following:
Enjoy the Privileges of a Resident/Citizen
- One of the simplest, most streamlined ways to gain U.S. residency is to participate in the EB-5 visa program. With this program, EB-5 investors are able to attain Green Cards for themselves, their spouses, and any unmarried children under 21.
- In their retirement, EB-5 investors who have Green Cards will be able to access U.S. pension funds as well as those from their home countries. With Green Cards, retired EB-5 investors might also be able to use Medicare and other government-run programs.
- U.S. citizenship becomes an option for EB-5 investors with Green Cards who have lived in the United States under permanent resident status for at least five years.
Work in the United States
- With U.S. Green Cards, EB-5 investors and their families will be able to reside and seek employment anywhere they want within the country.
- The United States has many different localities for all lifestyles, from the mountainous states of Utah and Nevada to coastal California and Maryland. Take your pick between a small, peaceful town to a fast-paced metropolis and everything in between.
- Some EB-5 investors may want to live in a state like Alaska or South Dakota, two of the nine U.S. states that do not have state income taxes.
- EB-5 investors do not need a visa or employment sponsor.
- Participants in the EB-5 visa program also do not need an H-1B work visa to work in the United States.
See the United States and Travel Where You Wish
- While some travel restrictions apply, with Green Cards EB-5 investors can move freely within the United States and freely enter and exit the country.
- EB-5 investors can visit or live anywhere in the United States with Green Cards.
- In case of an unpredictable political shift or other disruption in an EB-5 investors home country, the investor and their family could quickly enter the United States with Green Cards.
- Green Cards allow for access to the U.S. public school system for EB-5 investors. This means their children can receive a free education from elementary through high school. Green Cards also make it possible for EB-5 investors to pay less for in-state public colleges and universities.
- U.S. resident status makes college applicants up to 350% more likely to be admitted into U.S. universities.
- With Green Cards, EB-5 investors are able to pay reduced prices for college in the form of in-state tuition. Their children are also able to apply for financial aid and scholarships to help cover the costs of college.
- With permanent resident status, students are able to have jobs and internships while they are in college, as well as easily apply for jobs upon graduating.
Within What Parameters Must an EB-5 Investment Fall?
The following must hold true for EB-5 investments:
- Projects located in targeted employment areas (TEAs) have a lower minimum investment threshold of $800,000 for EB-5 investors. The minimum EB-5 investment an investor must make in a project not located in a TEA is $1,050,000. Every one of EB5AN’s EB-5 investment projects is located in a TEA, which means that EB-5 investments in those projects must be a minimum of $800,000.
- Another requirement for EB-5 investments it that they must result in the creation or preservation of at least 10 full-time jobs lasting at least two years for qualifying U.S. workers.
- A new commercial enterprise must be created by an EB-5 investment, or a troubled business must be recuperated. Certain further criteria must be met in the second case.
- EB-5 investors must prove that their capital remained at risk during investment and that they acquired their funds lawfully.
Considerations to Keep in Mind When Choosing a Project for an EB-5 Investment
Immigration risk and financial risk are two important factors that prospective EB-5 investors from Kolkata should take into consideration when looking at projects for EB5 investment.
To ensure that Green Cards cannot be simply exchanged for money and that funds are truly invested, the capital in an EB-5 investment must remain at risk throughout the investment’s duration.
However, EB-5 investors should note that, despite how that may sound, they do not need to invest in “risky” projects. Rather, the opposite is true—EB-5 investors should carefully assess each potential project in service of selecting one that will minimize their financial and immigration risk.
To guide EB-5 investors along the process of making these evaluations, EB5AN and Klasko Immigration Law Partners created the EB-5 Project Risk Assessment Tool, a series of questions that help EB-5 investors determine the best projects for investment according to the frameworks of immigration and financial risk.
Why Do So Many EB-5 Investors Choose to Work with Regional Centers?
EB-5 regional centers allow for a simplified application process for EB-5 investors because of a special rule that applies only to them. Unlike direct investments, regional centers can use an indirect method to calculate jobs created by EB-5 investments. This method can be used for a maximum of 90% of jobs created by EB-5 investments in regional center projects. The indirect method makes it easier for investors to prove their EB-5 investments have met job creation requirements. When they invest in a regional center project, investors must prove only that their EB5 investment has been used appropriately, rather than enumerating employees by showing W-2 paperwork.
EB-5 Affiliate Network is always prepared to quickly work with EB-5 investors from Kolkata, India on EB-5 investments with their regional centers. The Network has various regional centers located all over the United States.
How EB-5 Investors from Kolkata Can Get in Touch with EB5AN
The contact information below can be used by EB-5 investors to contact EB5AN and find out which regional center projects are open for investments by investors from Kolkata at present.
Facts on Kolkata, India
Who Lives in Kolkata?
Kolkata has the seventh-largest population of any city in India, with 4.5 million people residing inside the city limits. The metropolitan area had a population of 14.1 million as of 2011. Bengali is the official language of West Bengal, the state in India where Kolkata is located. Other languages spoken in Kolkata include Hindi, Urdu, English, and others.
How is the Economy in Kolkata?
Kolkata, India is known as the financial and commercial center of East India and North-East India. Kolkata has been ranked as the third-most productive metropolitan area in India, with an estimated GDP of about $250 billion. A sizeable portion of workers in Kolkata are employed by the informal sector.
What is the Climate like in Kolkata?
Kolkata has a tropical wet and dry climate with hot summers and relatively short winters. Late summer to early fall in Kolkata is monsoon season, which is when the city gets the majority of its rain. There is a risk of dangerous cyclones in Kolkata. Kolkata also has a large issue with pollution, especially low air quality.