People from Mississauga, Ontario who are interested in pursuing EB-5 investments should consider EB5 Affiliate Network (EB5AN)’s EB-5 regional center projects.
EB5 Affiliate Network can be a helpful resource and offer guidance throughout the EB-5 process for EB5 investors from Mississauga, Ontario.
Guidelines and Requirements for EB-5 Investments
The following is a list of requirements for EB-5 investments:
- One of the most important aspects of the EB-5 visa program is that it creates jobs for U.S. workers. Therefore, it should not be surprising to learn that EB-5 investments must create or preserve at least 10 jobs with full-time hours for qualifying U.S. workers. Each job must last at least two years, though it does not have to be filled by the same employee for that duration.
- EB-5 investments made in projects located in rural or high-unemployment targeted employment areas (TEAs) must be a minimum of $800,000. EB-5 investments in projects not located in TEAs must be at least $1,050,000. Fortunately, all EB-5 investment projects run by EB5AN are in TEAs.
- EB5 investors have to invest in a new commercial enterprise. In some cases, EB-5 investments can go toward reviving troubled businesses.
- Capital put toward EB-5 investments must be attained legally. Capital also must be at risk for the duration of the EB-5 investment.
How Can Green Cards Help Investors from Mississauga?
EB5 investors from Mississauga will find that there are many advantages to attaining Green Cards, several of which are explained below.
Green Cards Provide Resident Privileges
- One of the fastest ways to obtain a U.S. Green Card is through the EB-5 visa program. Investors who participate in the program can get Green Cards for themselves and qualifying family members, meaning their spouses and their children under 21 who are unmarried.
- When it comes time to retire, EB5 investors from Mississauga who have Green Cards will be able access pension money earned in Canada as well as in the United States. Retirees with Green Cards may also qualify for Medicare and other similar government programs.
- Once an EB-5 investor with a Green Card has lived in the United States for five years, they can apply to become a naturalized U.S. citizen.
Green Cards Can Open Doors to Opportunities for Employment
- Green Cards allow EB-5 investors to live anywhere in the United States.
- There are many locales to choose from, from states like Washington and Oregon on the Northwestern Coast, to warm states like Georgia and Florida in the southern United States. Whether investors want a quiet life in a small town or prefer the rush of a big city, there will be something for them in the United States.
- Some U.S. states, such as Nevada and Wyoming, do not collect state income taxes.
- Investors who participate in the EB-5 visa program do not need visa sponsors or employment sponsors.
- Getting a Green Card by making an EB-5 investment also eliminates the need for an H-1B work visa to work in the United States.
Green Cards Allow U.S. Residents to Travel with Ease
- While a few travel restrictions apply, Green Cards allow EB-5 investors to enter and exit the United States as needed.
- With Green Cards, EB-5 investors are free to travel anywhere in the United States.
- In the case of an unexpected, disruptive event in an EB-5 investor’s home country, EB-5 investors and their families who have Green Cards would be able to enter the United States quickly.
Green Cards Can Provide Paths to Education
- Green Card holders get access to free public schools from elementary through high school. They are also eligible for lower-cost, in-state tuition at public higher education institutions.
- Students who are U.S. residents have up to a 350% higher chance of admission to U.S. universities.
- Green Cards make students and their parents eligible for lower, in-state tuition at public colleges and universities. Students with Green Cards also have more opportunities to earn scholarships and financial aid.
- Resident status makes it easier for students to work without restriction while in school, as well as hold internships and apply for employment after graduating.
Why Do So Many Investors Make EB5 Investments Through Regional Centers?
Because of a special rule that applies to EB-5 investment projects run by EB-5 regional centers, investors who make investments through EB-5 regional centers will have a simplified application process. Regional center projects are permitted to use an indirect method of calculating jobs created by EB-5 investments. This rule applies for 90% of jobs associated with a project. Due to this special rule, investors who put capital toward projects sponsored by regional centers have to prove only that their investment was used in accordance with the regional center’s business plan. This is in contradistinction to investors making direct investments, who would have to provide paperwork proving direct job creation.
EB5 Affiliate Network has EB-5 investment projects affiliated with regional centers throughout the United States. EB5AN is ready to work with investors from Canada to sponsor EB-5 investments in projects in a wide variety of U.S. locations.
How to Do Due Diligence on EB-5 Investment Projects
Funds put toward EB-5 investments are required to stay at risk the whole time they are invested. This rule is in place to ensure that true investments are made and to prevent people from simply trading money for U.S. Green Cards.
However, investors should not take this to mean that they must put their funds toward projects that involve large amounts of risk. Instead, it is important that investors complete a meticulous evaluation of each potential project before making EB-5 investments.
Two important factors investors from Mississauga should consider when making these evaluations are financial risk and immigration risk.
To help investors get an idea of what types of projects involve the least financial and immigration risk, EB5AN and Klasko Immigration Law Partners produced an EB-5 Project Risk Assessment Tool. This guide walks investors through the process of conducting initial assessments of EB-5 investment projects, using the frameworks of financial and immigration risk.
EB5 Affiliate Network (EB5AN): Contact Information for Investors from Mississauga
People from Mississauga, Ontario interested in EB-5 investments should contact EB5 Affiliate Network to learn more about investment opportunities. Prospective investors from Mississauga can schedule a meeting with an EB-5 investment expert from EB5AN. Mississauga-based investors can also register for an event near them to connect with EB5AN experts and learn more about opportunities to make EB-5 investments. EB5AN holds events periodically in various locations around the world, including several cities in Canada.
EB-5 investors from Mississauga and other cities in Canada can get in touch with EB5AN to find out which of their regional center projects are currently accepting investments. EB5 investors from Mississauga thinking about pursuing EB-5 investments can contact EB5 Affiliate Network by calling 1-800-288-9138, or sending an email to info@EB5AN.com.
Facts of Interest: Mississauga, Ontario
Mississauga’s population as of a 2021 census was 717, 961. The population density in Mississauga was 2,452.6 people per square kilometer. More than half of people living in Mississauga speak a language that is not English. While just under half of people in Mississauga speak only English, large minorities in the city speak Urdu, Polish, Punjabi, Arabic, and Tagalog. Mississauga has one of the largest Indian populations in Canada, with almost 55,000 people from India living in the city as of 2016.
The largest industries in Mississauga are finance and banking, pharmaceuticals, electronics, aerospace, and transportation parts. Many large companies have Canadian offices and even global headquarters in Mississauga. Some companies with Canadian headquarters in Mississauga include Walmart, Panasonic, and Kellogg’s. The Royal Bank of Canada has IT development centers located in Mississauga.
Lake Ontario lies to the southeast of Mississauga. The Credit River, which flows through Mississauga and divides its western side from its eastern side, feeds into Lake Ontario. Another river located in Mississauga is Etobicoke Creek, which runs along a portion of Mississauga’s border with Quebec. Mississauga has a moderate climate with fairly hot summers and cold winters.