Anyone in Mississippi considering making an EB-5 investment should think about doing so through the state’s EB5 Affiliate Network (EB5AN) Regional Center.
Are Regional Centers Really Better for EB-5 Investors Than Investing on Their Own?
The decision to use a regional center to make an EB-5 investment is a personal one. Those who do not use an EB-5 regional center may have more flexibility when choosing a project. On the flip side, EB-5 regional centers offer a simplified investment process and make it easier to satisfy the program’s job creation requirements.
While outside investors must provide documentation showing that full-time workers were hired and kept their jobs for two or more years, regional centers only need to prove that the funds they invested were used as stipulated in the business plan. This is because only regional centers are allowed to calculate jobs using the approved indirect method of job creation, which is estimated by a reputable economistindirect method.
Where can you find a regional center? They exist across the United States, and EB5AN has numerous centers in multiple states, including one in Mississippi.
Using EB5AN’s Regional Center in the State of Mississippi
Regardless of where you live, you can decide to invest in an EB-5 project anywhere in the United States and use any regional center you want. However, many investors choose to make an investment in the state they call home. If you would like to invest in a Mississippi EB-5 project, using a regional center in the state can make the process easier and more beneficial to you.
EB5AN’s Mississippi Regional Center covers not only the state’s biggest and most populous cities, but also all 82 counties in the state.
How Mississippi Foreign Nationals Can Benefit from Becoming EB-5 Investors
When you make an EB-5 investment in Mississippi, you get:
- One of the fastest paths to permanent residency. Foreign nationals often wait for other visas for years and years. Not only is the EB-5 investment visa faster, it also provides a path to citizenship for you, your spouse, and any children you have who are under 21 and unmarried.
- Retirement benefits. Permanent residents can collect U.S. pensions. It may also be possible to obtain Medicare and similar benefits.
- United States’ Citizenship. While citizenship is not a guarantee, you can apply for it after living in the U.S. with a green card for at least five years.
- Unrestricted living options. As a permanent resident, you can move and work anywhere in the U.S. You can even decide to live in a state like Texas where there’s no state income tax. You also do not need an employer or visa sponsor for the EB-5 program.
- No H-1B required. As a green card holder, you do not need an H-1B work visa to get a job.
- International travel allowed. With your green card, you can travel internationally without having to fear reentry issues. Certain travel restrictions apply, however.
- Unrestricted domestic travel. You can go anywhere in the U.S.
- Free K-12 Schools. Permanent residents qualify for free public elementary, middle, and high schools just like U.S. citizens.
- U.S. university benefits. Living in the United States can increase your chances of getting into a university in the country by up to 350%. Additionally, you gain the opportunity to apply for scholarships and financial aid, and may take internships, seek out job opportunities after graduation, and hold a job while in school. Finally, permanent residents qualify for in-state tuition at institutions of higher education, which often results in significant savings.
- Immediate U.S. entry in certain circumstances. Both you and your family will be granted immediate entry to the U.S. if your country experiences a serious event such as a sudden political change.
Main Requirements for EB-5 Investments
Here are the main requirements for an EB-5 investment:
- You must invest at least $900,000 if your EB-5 investment is located in a high unemployment or rural area that is considered a targeted employment area (also known as a TEA).
- Your investment must create or preserve a minimum of ten full-time jobs for certain qualifying workers in the US and last for at least a two-year period.
- You must invest either in a new commercial enterprise or a business that is struggling.
- The capital in your investment must be at-risk for the duration of the investment.
- Your funds for the investment must be from legal sources.
What to Consider When Evaluating Projects for EB-5 Investments
If you are evaluating investments, you should consider the risks involved, both for your financial capital and immigration status.
As mentioned, it is required that the capital for your EB-5 investment be at-risk for the length of the investment. The requirement ensures that investors actually invest in the economy and do not just purchase a green card.
But just because the investment must be at-risk does not mean you have to choose a project that is risky. In fact, it is best that you thoroughly vet opportunities before committing. You want to ensure you are not putting yourself at risk financially or hurting your chances of successfully obtaining a green card in the end.
If you are looking for a way to assess opportunities, consult EB5AN’s EB-5 Project Risk Assessment Tool, developed in partnership with Klasko Immigration Law Partners. It is designed to be easy-to-understand and useful in order to inform potential investors.
Learn More about the State of Mississippi
Mississippi: Population and Income Demographics
There are over 2.3 million people over 16 years old in Mississippi, per the United States census. 1.4 million of this group are workers — with 1.2 million who are employed and 0.1 million who are unemployed.
What’s the Economic Outlook for Mississippi?
Mississippi has lots of room to grow. With 46,923 square miles, its population density is 63.2 people per square mile, making it the 38th most densely populated state.
The largest city in Mississippi is also the capital, Jackson. The greater Jackson metro area is the largest metro area in the state. In 2017, the gross domestic product of the state was $111.7 billion, which means there was a compound annual growth rate from 10 years prior of 2.0%. The state has the 36th-largest economy in the country.
Before the Civil War, Mississippi was the 5th wealthiest state in the country, because it was a major producer of cotton. Today, the state is better known for tourism, entertainment, and manufacturing.
Mississippi EB-5 Investments
EB5 Affiliate Network can help you find the right investment opportunity for an EB-5 in Mississippi. Reach out to learn more about EB-5 investments projects that are currently open and sponsored by an EB5AN EB-5 regional center.
At EB5AN, we are ready to help foreign nationals in Mississippi find the right EB-5 investment project. Schedule a call so we can share more about the EB-5 investments available now.